Friday, April 3, 2009

One of Many...


So where were we Wednesday?  At the ER!!!!

Yes, this was our first trip to the ER and honestly I think it was a lot harder on me than it was on Jay!  Our morning started out like every morning we had our morning feeding and then did a little tummy time.  While I was doing some tummy time I noticed a bunch of bugars coming out of Jays nose (at one of my visits the pediatrician said that could be a sign of a virus) so I grabbed the baby thermometer and took Jays temperature.  Sure enough he had a fever 101.4 (they are not to be over 100.4)  So I called the pediatrician and they told me to take him directly to the ER! WHAT???  This may be the scariest thing you can say to a new mom.  So I rushed him over to Children's Memorial Hospital.  On the way I called Loren to let him know what was going on and he said he was on his way to meet us, I told him to wait and that I would call him as soon as we found out what was going on.

We checked in at triage and they stripped him down and did some preliminary tests, temp, ears, weight etc.  Then they put us in a room, put Jay in a mini hospital gown and the 100 tests began.  I was so upset, just seeing my little guy in a mini hospital gown on a big hospital table was all I needed before the waterworks started.

The Hospital takes fevers in newborns very seriously because it could be a symptom of something more serious.  Little jay was such a trouper, he did not cry once! He had to give 2 tubes of blood, an IV for an hour, a catheter so they could get a urine sample, a tube up his nose for a flu test and x-rays.  We were there for about 4 hours but one by one the tests came back negative.  The doctor came in and discharged us, he said it was most likely a virus (Loren is sick) but if the fever returns to bring him back immediately.  I was able to breathe a big sigh of relief.  

These little guys can sure put you thru a scare, but I will say the whole time we were there he barely left my arms.  I feel like we bonded so much on Wednesday, he is my little angel.  I am sure this trip to the ER will be one of many, just didn't think it would be so soon!